Friday, January 25, 2013

Walking Tall

"To change the world,
Start with one step.
However small,
The first step is hardest of all.

Once you get your gate,
You'll be walking tall."

--Dave Matthews Band, "You Might Die Trying."

Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries... Why do we remember such things? There is something about major markers in our lives that make us stop, reflect, and evaluate ourselves. I suppose we are inherently achievers; perhaps that is an evolutionary trait. Survival of the adapters.

In 2001, cargo pants were really cool (sorry for those who still sport them--they probably aren't cool anymore, but I don't know because I can't dress myself). I was in graduate school.

"I love cargo pants! I mean, they are so flattering! They even look good on Abby!"

Her name was Katherine. As soon as the words came out of her mouth, she looked like she swallowed a frog, and she started stammering.

I let her off the hook, as I was quite capable of doing at the time.

The irony (if I'm using that term correctly, which I am careful to do):

Katherine was a triathlete. That was over twelve years ago, when I weighed 205 pounds.

I celebrate this date with a few thoughts:

A) I am old. :)

B) I have some pretty friggin' fabulous legs (so modest!).

C) "Lifestyle change" is fun.

No but seriously. Maybe once upon a time it seemed like fun to be lazy and eat burritos the size of my head, but I've never had more fun in my life than right now.

No, right now.

Or, right.... now.

No comments:

Post a Comment