Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sisters

"Here's what we call our golden rule
Have faith in you and the things you do.
You won't go wrong
This is our family jewel."

--Sister Sledge, "We are Family."

Relationships with women are difficult.

Let me clarify that I mean this in every sense. Relationships between women are difficult. Relationships that men have with women are difficult.

When I was younger, my with relationships with other women--or girls, when we were that age--were sometimes challenging. The competitiveness, the cattiness, the fighting... I didn't navigate that world very well. I didn't connect very well with many of my girlfriends. We were friends because we did things together, or, because by some sort of strange default, none of the other popular kids wanted to be friends with us either, so we were friends with each other.

Fast forward twenty (plus) years.

I had a weekend this past weekend of all sorts of wonderful sisterness.

My ACTUAL sister and I are training for a half-marathon together (her first!) and we started this extra long weekend of mine by running 11 miles on Thursday. Then, I saw her Friday evening before my rehearsal while she was home alone with her beautiful son, allowing her husband an evening with the boys. She and I ran a race together this morning, and we crossed the finish line on her first 10k. Later in the afternoon, she attended my a cappella concert, and she hugged me with tears in her eyes. I am blessed, blessed, blessed and lucky that I get to share so much with her. I cherish this time that we live literally a mile and a half apart.

My new sisters... my Capital Blend girls... these are new women in my life, and I love and appreciate them more than I thought I would at this point.




We had our big fall concerts this weekend, and the very nice man I am dating took some lovely pictures of us.




Singing together in harmony, rehearsals, choreography... there are so many analogies to relationships.




Indeed, the way that we blend, the way that we take turns supporting each other in the spotlight, the way we back each other up (and we're backing up, backing up, backing up, backing up--'cause my daddy taught me good.... nope, no inside jokes either)...




It reminds me that women can be some of the most amazing people in whom to invest time and energy for a relationship. Even if the relationships may at times be challenging or difficult... Women can give so much. We can support so much. We have the strength to carry on, to carry others, to carry ourselves through just about anything. Believe in a woman and she will stand by you forever.

Believe in me and I will stand by you forever. Trust in me and I will trust in you. Have faith in me and my unshakeable support will be yours.

I love you, sisters. Thank you for reminding me how valuable you are, and how valuable I am for being among you.


www.capitalblendsings.com

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Abby. This is incredible. I smile because you cherish us so much, and I cherish us so much too. You've just given me the gift of cherishing the same thing...together.
    -Shana

    ReplyDelete